2012 - present
Union J are an English four-piece boy band who are based in London, United Kingdom. The group consists of members Josh Cuthbert, JJ Hamblett, Jaymi Hensley and George Shelley, who were formed through the ninth series of British television singing competition The X Factor in 2012. They subsequently signed a recording contract with Sony Music's division RCA Records, and are due to release their self titled debut studio album on October 28, 2013.
2012: Formation, The X FactorEdit
The band first began as a trio (Triple J) consisting of Josh Cuthbert, JJ Hamblett and Jaymi Hensley. Cuthbert and Hensley had initially met through studying at the Sylvia Young Theatre School, where they later decided to form a group with Hamblett. The trio first auditioned at The X Factor with a performance of Barbadian recording artist, Rihanna's "We Found Love", whilst Shelley covered an acoustic version of Britney Spears' "Toxic". Both acts progressed to Bootcamp, but were not chosen to compete at Judges' Houses. However, following Rough Copy's forced withdrawal from the competition, Triple J's manager, Blair Dreelan was contacted by producers of the series, with an offer for the group to return and contend in Los Angeles - on the basis that Shelley were added to the band. Later rebranded Union J - the band's first performance as a four-piece saw them perform Carly Rae Jepsen's international hit "Call Me Maybe". This earnt them a place in the Live Shows, along with acts District3 and MK1. Although finding themselves in the bottom two for three weeks during the series, Union J progressed to the semi-finals, ultimately leaving the series in fourth position.
2013 - Present: Post The X Factor and Debut AlbumEdit
Following their success in the ninth series of The X Factor, Union J announced in December 2012 that they had been offered a record deal through RCA Records - a division of Sony Music. In April 2013, the band confirmed the release of their debut single, "Carry You". The track was given its radio premiere on 22 April, and will be released on 2 June 2013. The band have also signed a major publishing deal with Penguin and Michael Joseph, and will release a book detailing their memoirs and time in The X Factor following the release of their music. The boys commented, "We are very excited to be working with Penguin on our first book and are looking forward to the chance to tell our stories, of how we came together and where we came from, as well as the journey we've taken since X Factor." Union J will attend concerts and festivals throughout Summer 2013. They will perform their debut single for the first time at Reading FC's Madejski Stadium as part of the AllStarz Summer Party. Other appearances will include Capital FM's Summertime Ball at Wembley Stadium on 9 June 2013, and Chester Rocks 2013 on 15 June.
- Josh Cuthbert
- Born: 28 July, 1992 Ascot, United Kingdom
- Previous Work: IT Sales; Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Musical Production.
- JJ Hamblett
- Born: 25 May 1988 New Market, United Kingdom
- Previous Work: Professional Racing Jockey.
- Jaymi Hensley
- Born: 24 February 1990 Luton, United Kingdom
- Previous Work: Part-Time Singing and Dancing Teacher.
- George Shelley
- Born: 27 July 1993 Bristol, United Kingdom
- Previous Work: Clothing Store, Card Shop & Café/Coffee Shop.
- ↑ CBBC Newsround - Union J to release album in 2013
- ↑ Hot hunks' auditions - The X Factor UK 2012 - YouTube
- ↑ Union J's performance - Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe - The X Factor UK 2012 - YouTube
- ↑ Times Red and Union J's Reveal - Judges' Houses - The X Factor UK 2012 - YouTube
- ↑ X Factor's Union J sign recording contract with Sony: 'Our deal will be finalised before Christmas' | Sugarscape |
- ↑ 'X Factor' Boyband Union J Announce 'Carry You' As Debut Single (VIDEO)
- ↑ Union J unveil debut single 'Carry You' - listen - Music News - Digital Spy
- ↑ iTunes - Music - Carry You - EP by Union J
- ↑ Union J sign book deal with Penguin Publishers | Sugarscape |
- ↑ 'X Factor' group Union J sign major book deal ahead of debut single - Music News - Digital Spy
- ↑ http://www.allstarzparty.com/
- ↑ http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/union-j/news/summertime-ball-2013-line-up/
- ↑ http://www.chester-rocks.com/